The Windows operating system may pop up the error message This app can't run on your PC when you try to open a program that is identified by the operating system as incompatible with that specific version of Windows.
The error message can have several causes, and the following guide is an effort to provide you with the knowledge that you may use to examine and fix the error.
Here are 11 easy solutions to resolve the 'This app can't run on your PC' error message :
Solution 1: Create a new administrator account
Some users stated that 'this app can’t run on your PC' error message is very common on their PCs.
According to them, this error message emerges when attempting to start several of the basic Windows 10 applications, such as Task Manager for an instance.
If this problem still exists, it might be having a problem with your user account, and to resolve this problem, it’s recommended that you create a new administrator account. In order to do that, you need to follow these steps:
1. Open Settings app and go to Accounts and then locate the Family & other users option.
2. Go to Other users section and click on Add someone else to this PC option.
3. Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
4. At this point in time, you need to choose Add a user without a Microsoft account.
5. Enter the name and password for the new administrator account.
6.You should see new account prepared in Other users section. Select the new account and click the Change account type button.
7. Select Administrator from Account type list and click on OK.
As soon as you do this, the error of 'This app can’t run on your PC' will be resolved. If the issue is fixed, you might have to move your personal files and folders to this account and use it rather of your old account.
Solution 2: Download and install the right version of programs
Downloading the wrong program for your operating system is one of the most common reasons for the "This app can’t run on your PC” error to have occurred.
For an instance, you’re using Windows 32-bit, but you have downloaded the program for Windows 64-bit OS.
Make sure you check the program twice and see whether you have downloaded the correct setup files or not.
Solution 3 – Disable SmartScreen
SmartScreen is a Windows 10 feature which is built-in and designed for the protection of your computer from malware. Going by the reports, this piece can at times create “This app can’t run on your PC” error so it is considered best to disable it.
In order to disable SmartScreen, you will have to do the following:
1. Press the Windows Key along with the S and enter the smart screen window. Select Change SmartScreen settings from the list of results.
2. Navigate to the Security section and spot the Windows SmartScreen.
3. Click on the Change settings option and choose Do not do anything (turn off Windows SmartScreen). Choose OK to save the changes.
Solution 4 – Enable App Side-loading
In order to enable app side-loading, you will have to do the following:
1. Open Settings app and Go to Update & Security section.
2. Navigate to For developers tab and under the Use developer features, you will have to select Developer mode.
Solution 5 – Make a copy of .exe file you’re trying to run
If in case, you’re getting “This app can’t run on your PC” error message while attempting to open a particular app, you should try to create a copy of that application’s .exe file.
In order to do that, simply choose the .exe file of the application you’re trying to run and use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V shortcut.
You should notice a new .exe file available. Try operating the newly created .exe file and verify if the problem still continues.
Solution 6: Update Windows Store
If you are not able to open a specific Windows Store apps on your PC, this might be the result of a temporary bug that’s plaguing the current version of the Store. The fastest method to resolve that is to examine for updates and install the latest Store version.
In order to look for Windows Store updates, follow these simple steps:
1. Open the Windows Store app from the Start menu.
2. Click on the 3-dot menu in the far right corner and open Downloads and updates.
3. Click on the ”Get Updates” button.
Solution 7: Disable Proxy or VPN
Distinct Proxy or VPN settings may prevent the outgoing connection to the MS Store servers.
Try disabling these settings before you log in to your MS account if apps won’t run on your PC.
Also, make sure that you have a steady Internet connection.
Here are the steps of disabling Proxy settings:
1. Right-click the Start menu and open Control Panel.
2. Click Internet Options.
3. Open the Connections tab.
4. Click on LAN settings.
5. Uncheck the box beside Use a proxy server for your LAN.
6. Confirm changes and try to log-in again.
Now, you will have to turn off your VPN and try to launch the Windows Store again.
If apps won’t run on your PC due to connectivity issues caused by the Proxy server or VPN, this solution should help you resolve this issue.
Solution 8: Repair your registry
Damaged or corrupted registry keys might also be a reason for blocking apps from running on your PC.
If ‘This app can’t run on your PC’ keeps coming up, the easiest way to repair your registry is to use MS System File Checker to check for system file corruption. The service checks the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
Here is the process how of running an SFC scan:
1. Go to Start and then type cmd, after which you need to right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command.
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then reboot your system. All corrupted files will be replaced by restarting.
Solution 9: Clear your browser cache
At times, the cause of why apps won’t run on Windows 10 is because the download process got corrupted. As a result, precise files and folders did not fully download or didn’t download at all.
This often occurs if you don’t clear your browser cache frequently.
So you need to first clear your browser cache, delete the problematic app and then try to download and install it again.
Solution 10 : Update your Operating System
You have to be assured that you’re using the latest Windows OS updates on your system. As a quick note, MS regularly rolls out Windows updates in order to develop the system’s balance and correct various problems.
To reach to the Windows Update segment, you can easily type “update” in the search box. This order acts on all Windows versions. Then go to Windows Update, check for updates and install the possible updates.
After you’ve installed the latest updates, launch the problematical apps again to see if the issue continues.
Solution 11: Run a full system scan
Malware may create various problems on your computer. It can trigger various error regulations, block apps from installing or running, etc.
Perform a full system scan in order to identify any malware running on your computer. You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, or third-party antivirus solutions.
Here’s how to run a full system scan on Windows 10 Creators Update:
1. Go to Start and type ‘defender’ and then double-click Windows Defender to start the tool.
2. In the left-hand pane, choose the shield icon.
3. In the new window, click the Advanced scan option.
4. Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.